The general consensus of kettlebell experts seems to agree that the average man should use a 35lb kettlebell as an introductory size. Just Google what size kettlebell and you’ll see most results suggest this size. For folks familiar with the metric system, a 35 lb kettlebell equates to a 16 kg kettlebell.
One thing to consider is the term average man. We take that to mean that this person may not be ripped or even physically fit, but also not obese or living a generally sedentary lifestyle. If you fall into the latter category you may want to choose a lighter kettlebell or purchase a kettlebell set.
Now that we’ve covered expectations for choosing the right size kettlebell, it’s time to review our picks for the best entry, mid, and premium level 35lb kettlebell. Each one has received excellent reviews and despite their price difference, provides at least an adequate level of quality.
This entry-level 35lb kettlebell is a great option for people who are new to kettlebells looking for a solid and affordable option. If you’re seeking a no-frills option, this will get the job done. It’s made of cast iron and features an aqua vinyl color covering for protection against scratching.
The color of the covering on this kettlebell makes it easy to distinguish from other weights from this brand. The weight is also clearly labeled as 35 LB in a large white font. The wide handle and non-slip grip is a great feature for beginners as they learn the basic exercises.
Over 100 reviews on Amazon rate this kettlebell at an average of 4.5 stars. Many people rave about the excellent value it provides compared to other name-brand kettlebells. It’s not uncommon to find similar quality kettlebells priced almost twice as much for the same size!
Everyday Essentials 35 lb Kettlebell Features:
- Solid Cast Iron Core – Made from high-quality material that is built to last. Work out safely and comfortably.
- Color-Coded Covering – The vinyl covering protects both the kettlebell and your floor from scratches.
- Wide Handle – The textured handle provides a superior grip for both one-handed and two-handed exercises.
What People Are Saying:
Some customers that purchased this product had this to say.
“Very fast shipping and I love the vinyl coating so my floor doesn’t get damaged!”
“With gyms being closed this has become my fitness tool of choice.”
- High quality solid cast kettlebell encased in color-coded vinyl to protect both floor and kettlebells
- Textured wide handle for better grip, fit most hand sizes. Non-slip grip for complete control
- Flat bottom is designed to prevent rolling and provide easier storage
- Color-coded vinyl for easy recognition of the weight and better looking
- Sold as single
When the gyms closed because of the pandemic, there was a surge in interest for kettlebells. Since the majority of kettlebells are manufactured in China, demand became so great that the in-stock supply was gone within a matter of days. In addition, travel restrictions were tightened making it impossible for even major kettlebell brands to restock. USA-Iron saw a need for quality kettlebells and began producing them right here in the U.S.
Instead of rushing to build mass quantities of kettlebells, USA-Iron developed a superior model that is durable and comes with a lifetime guarantee. The powder coat finish over the cast iron provides a smooth texture for gripping while helping to prevent chipping and flaking. Cast in a single piece, there are no welds or seams that are common in cheaply produced kettlebells.
The large curved handle measures 37 mm in diameter. Suitable for not only single-handed exercises but two-handed ones as well. Even though USA-Iron is considered the new kid on the block for kettlebell manufacturing, their attention to detail and quality rivals that of longstanding big-name brands.
USA-Iron 35 Pound Kettlebell Features:
- Lifetime Guarantee – Durable and solid, you’re assured of getting many workouts for years to come.
- Made in the U.S. – When you purchase these kettlebells you’re supporting U.S. manufacturing.
- Powder Coat Finish – The perfect blend for protecting your kettlebell and floors while allowing for a comfortable grip.
What People Are Saying:
Some customers have expressed these feelings about the product
In regards to availability
Cutomer feedback: One of the few places to have kettlebells in stock. Happy to support the U.S. industry!
In regards to the smooth handle
Cutomer feedback: No burrs or lines on the handle that would otherwise make swings painful.
- PRODUCT READY to ship straight away. THANKS FOR SUPPORTING OUR U.S MADE PRODUCT
- SUPPORT USA MADE - HEAVY DUTY CAST IRON – We are proud to have a USA team manufacturing Kettle bells with no join marks or welds as seen on foreign imported goods. Premium USA-Made Kettlebells with durable powder coat finish on single piece of strong cast iron. Our kettlebells are built to last and come with a lifetime product guarantee.
- PHENOMENAL KETTLEBELL GRIP — Achieve comfort in your hands while you feel the burn in the rest of your body. Our free weight equipment for men and women have a premium ultra-durable powder coating finish that gives a signature texture to our kettlebells, providing the perfect balance between texture and grip for whatever exercises are in your routine.
- HANDLE DIAMETER – Our products features a large curved handle providing adequate space for exercises with either 1 or 2 hands. The diameter of the handle increases with the weight of the ball: 34 mm for the 20 lb, 35 mm for 25 lb and 37 mm for the 35 lb and 44lb and 38 mm for the 50 lb for the perfect grip, allowing more exercises to target major muscles groups in all the ways you can imagine!
- VARIOUS WEIGHTS AND SIZES - you can choose the weight that best suits your workout routine or your fitness level. Whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or advanced fitness enthusiast, our kettlebells are sold individually in 20, 25, 35, 44 and 50 lbs (9kg , 12kg , 16kg , 20kg, 23kg) selections to cater for your resistance training needs. Or buy all sizes to create your own USA-Iron weight set.
As far as fitness equipment is concerned, Rogue has become one of the most recognized and cherished brands in just 14 years. Since the beginning, they’ve been the preferred choice of fitness enthusiasts and athletes for supplying the right tools to reach their goals. However, like many other companies, the pandemic crippled production forcing Rogue to quickly adjust.
Rather than waiting around and hoping for the best, Rogue partnered with Cadillac Casting, Inc. of Michigan to create the ultimate cast iron kettlebell. I’m talking about the E Coat kettlebell. This relatively new form of coating is electrically-applied and thinner than powder coating. As such, it offers better adhesion and even more resistance to corrosion.
Now, Rogue could’ve stopped there and released a fine product. However, they took things a step further by using ductile cast iron over traditional cast iron. Ductile cast iron is tougher and able to absorb greater impacts. Not that anyone should be slamming their kettlebells around. Still, it’s a great feature!
One final difference over regular powder coated kettlebells is how the e coating produces a nice shine. The higher gloss appearance is rated at 22 GU compared to the low gloss (1.5 GU) of powder coat bells. Of course, this is all cosmetic and doesn’t affect the functionality.
Rogue E Coat 35 Lb Kettlebell Features:
- Superior Coating – E coating is even better than the widely touted powder coating on kettlebells.
- Made in The U.S. – Fast shipping times and availability is never an issue.
- Competitive Pricing – Suprisingly, the cost is relative to that of other powder coat kettlebells!
What People Are Saying:
Some customers had this to say about the E Coat kettlebells
“These kettlebells are well-made and have become a family heirloom of sorts.”
“The E-Coat is extremely durable after dragging and dropping this kettlebell multiple times.”
35 Lb Kettlebell Roundup
How serious and invested will you be with your kettlebell workouts? That is the real question. Each grade of 35 lb kettlebell is sufficient enough for many workouts. However, your budget and comfort should also take priority in deciding which one to choose.
If you can swing the base cost plus shipping (no pun intended), the Rogue E Coat 35 lb kettlebell will give you great workouts over a lifetime. The difference in price between that and the Everyday Essentials kettlebell is not substantial. Although, if you’re not fully convinced about the benefits of kettlebells, going the least expensive option isn’t unwise.
The USA-Iron 35 lb kettlebell is a great offering from a newcomer in the industry. It’s already racking up rave reviews for people looking to fill their gym-going void. Regardless of choice, you may want to invest in some kettlebell gloves while you get accustomed to performing kettlebell moves.
Proud to support US made kettlebells
I ordered a USA-Iron 35 pounder a few weeks ago. I’m very impressed with how it handles and all of my buddies are constantly asking questions about it. Can’t recommend it enough!